Sunday, December 18, 2005

Camping Update

It was a really good week, especially the last 48 hours. There was some wind (broke a fiberglass pole on my new tent), and the fishing wasn't spectactular, but I got a lot of time on the water, and the boat ran well.
Friday night I returned to town for a caroling gig -- which went very well -- and then slept at home and saw the family.

Saturday was quite rainy, so I didn't go straight back to the campground. Linda and gina had plans for the day, so I got in some christmas shopping around Melbourne, and got back to check on my camp and bail out the rainwater from the boat about 3pm. I went out fishing for an hour and managed a couple of small trout just by trolling around the river.

Late Saturday I headed up to Cocoa to meet the guys for a Makeshift gig at a Knights of Columbus dinner event. We were the after dinner show, and it also went very well. Especially considering we've had one rehearsal in the last month. But the set list went smoothly, the gags worked, we did a couple of christmas songs, and we were asked for an encore. After the performance they fed us well, and we split and I headed back to my camp, about an hour away.

On the way back I thought to stop in for a drink at the Sebastian Beach Inn, which is a divey beach bar way out in the middle of nowhere on A1A about 3 miles from the campground. Turned out that grammy winning blues singer/player John Hammond was giving a solo show there, and I gladly forked over the $15 cover to catch the last hour of his set. It was great, the place was packed with middle-aged blues fans, but I had a good seat at the bar...he talked a lot between songs and dropped a lot of names. It was a real treat.

I crashed back at my camp before midnight, and then was up again at 6:30am for one last shot at the river. I spent about 3 hours on the water, the weather was dead calm and things were heavily fogged in, so I had to pull my compass out of the tackle box to keep my bearings. The fog persisted all morning, occasionally lifting enough that I could see a shoreline. I managed 4 nice sized sea trout, 1 large sail cat on a topwater plug(!), and a 10" grouper. A great ending to the week.

Categories:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home